Monday, March 30, 2009

What? No Oxygen?!

The big question is: What is Hunter doing?

Right now, Hunter is playing, hooked up to a pulse oximeter, and his oxygen TURNED OFF COMPLETELY! That's right! I said NO OXYGEN!

I can barely keep my composure right now to type this out. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. Hunter had an appointment with his Pulmonary Doctor today. His Pulmonary Doctor feels that right now is the best time to test Hunter. He believes that Hunter is ready. For the next week, Hunter will be monitored 24 hours a day. His oxygen will remain shut off (unless he needs it), and we will see how he does. If his oxygen does not drop below 93%, Hunter will permantely be removed from oxygen. Hunter has an alarm on his pulse oximeter. It will sound off at 93%. At night or during the day, I will know if he drops. I don't have to sit in front of this machine 24 hours a day. It has an obnoxious beep. The beep won't stop unless Hunter's oxygen levels raise back up.

The pulmonary doctor predicted what may happen. He believes that Hunter will be okay during the day (without oxygen). At night, may be a different story. He predicts that Hunter may still need oxygen at night. Why? We'll because at night everyone's oxygen level drops to some degree. Hunter's may or may not drop too low at night. He says that it is very common for micro preemies to come off oxygen during the day and need it at night for a month or two longer.

If his oxygen can come off during the day, he is so close to it being gone period. So, the next week will be nerve racking. Let's just pray and cross our fingers that his oxygen days are over!
I thought I would be excited for Hunter to come off oxygen. Don't get me wrong. I am so excited. But, with that excitement comes a scared and nervous feeling. Hunter has always needed something to help him breathe. He had the oscillator, the ventilator, CPAP, and nasal cannula. Now, they want me to have him breathe on his own. This time is here! I hope just he can do it. I would love for him to have this off his face. I can't wait!

0 comments: