Sunday, April 27, 2008

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I expressed how I was feeling at that particular moment out for everyone to see and I scared a lot of people. That was not my intentions. This is the hardest thing a person can go through. But, I am alright. At times, it can be hard to eat, sleep, or function because you have so much on your mind - but all normal given the circumstance. I am keeping healthy, taking care of myself, and getting my rest. I am not exercising yet. But, I still have some recovering from my surgery before I'm back on my elliptical.

On to my precious baby Hunter...I want to say that he has his sleeves rolled up and his gloves on. But, I don't want to get overconfident. When Hunter had his problem with NEC, they brought over a group of surgeons from U of M to perform his surgery and put the drain in to heal what was going on inside him. The drains are out. As nice as the all the surgeons were, it was nice to say Goodbye to them because I know my son is on his way to recovery from something that could have been potentially fatal.

My last email said they had to move him back to the oscillator. When the respirator isn't enough support, the oscillator has to show its ugly face. The reason for this was because fluid was building on his delicate and immature lungs, even fearing congestive heart failure. He was also getting an air build up outside his lungs. They had to surgically insert another chest tube to drain the air. The chest tube is out now; he is off the oscillator, and back on the respirator. His x-rays are showing that the fluid on his lungs is getting better.

They put him on steroids and they are pretty confident that this is helping his lungs. The risk with the steroids is that it could cause him to have development delays later in life, such as speech delays. They said that most of the time the speech delays are something that is corrected by the time he begins school. But, we will be on top of that because we know of the circumstance. It is also not a guarantee that he will have any delays, it is just a risk. But, this risk is for any premature baby. Hunter is already enrolled in a developmental program for when he is discharged. They will keep a close eye on him and his development. It will be caught early.

They have been tapering down the steroids. He will be off his antibiotics. And, the next big hurdle starts on Monday. I am so worried. They are going to try to feed him again. This is the only way we will know if the NEC is really truly gone or not. This is also a huge hurdle. Why? Will it is really too long to explain over this entry - but it deals with a lot of immature stomach and intestinal issues. So, Hunter is no means out of the woods or even close to being out of the woods. Feeding can be HUGE hurdle for a premature baby. But, he is getting the best medical care and the doctors and nurses have been great.

I ask that you please continue to pray for Hunter. As I have said before...God is truly his #1 Physician. It is the Big Man that ultimately has the say. Every day before I leave my sweetheart, I hold his tiny hand and we pray together.

This situation leaves everyone feeling a little helpless and a loss for words. I know how you’re feeling. I have been on the other side before. Your love, support, and prayers are the best anyone can do and we appreciate it more than I could ever put into words.

0 comments: