Friday, October 30, 2009

To Botox or Not to Botox

Hunter’s physical therapists and rehabilitation doctor’s are highly recommending botox treatments for the cerebral palsy in Hunter’s legs. Hunter has mild to moderate spastic diplegia. This means that he has increased muscle tone in the lower part of his body. The upper body is not affected. In Hunter’s case, his right leg is more affected than the left. Although, the left still has some increased muscle tone.

The botox would be injected in the muscle. This would cause the muscle to relax. Botox has been done on other patients with cerebral palsy. In many cases, it has helped.

Hunter’s increased muscle tone has a developmental impact on his ability to sit independently, walk, stand, and crawl. If the botox treatments are done, there is a high probability that the muscles will loosen up and make the developmental milestones easier for him to reach. It sounds great, doesn’t it? I was so excited. I was ready to dial the number and schedule Hunter to have his first botox treatment. Then, a thought ran through my mind. I realized that I heard about the benefits, but nobody has explained the risk factors or side effects to me. I decided to Google it.

I need to explain what Google means to me. After Hunter was born, all these frightening diagnoses were being thrown at us. Hunter had Patent ductus arteriosus, intraventricular hemorrhage, Necrotizing Enterocolitis, Rentinopathy of Prematurity, Bronchopulmonary Disease and Pulmonary Hypertension…and it would’ve been so easy to read up on each one of these things. I discovered quickly not to do that. I found that the internet can give the worst case scenario. I made it a rule: never Google Hunter’s diagnosis unless I’ve been given a reputable website.

What do I do now? I Google: Botox treatments.

Apparently, I have not learned my lesson and this is what I found out:

1.) Botox is not approved by the FDA for the use in Cerebral Palsy patients and for the use in children and babies.

2.) Botox is made of the same organism that causes food poisoning

3.) If the Botox seeps out of the muscle and into the body, it can cause life threatening consequences. Also, if the botox is not injected correctly, gets into the body, it can cause a fatal reaction.

4.) I read somewhere that botox can cause respiratory issues. (the last thing he needs)

I know that they have to document every case of adverse effects. I can't gamble with my son's life even if the chances are slim. I’m very torn on what to do. I’m going to talk to Hunter’s Pediatrician. I have a lot of unanswered questions before I make a final decision.

On a lighter side, my house has been taken over by toys and there is no adults that live here anymore.

0 comments: