Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hard at work with PT/OT

First, I want to say how proud I am of Hunter and all his accomplishments. He is amazing. He is working so hard in therapy and at home with Mommy. Wow, he has come such a long ways since June...



My week started with a call from Hunter's Pediatrician. I highly respect Hunter's Pediatrician. I have to say that we are truly lucky to have such a wonderful doctor. I call on his Pediatrician for advice and I really take what he says to heart. His Pediatrician is recommending that I move forward with the Botox treatments. He thinks that Hunter could benefit greatly from them. It’s very rare to see adverse affects. After having a long conversation with him, I have decided to move forward and schedule Hunter to have the Botox treatments.

Hunter and his Great Grandmother were working together. Hunter started to pick up the reciprocal motion of walking (one foot in front of the other) He was taking baby steps with his Great Grandma and I was able to catch it on camera. This will be a picture I treasure forever...



His Physical Therapist was very happy to see this. She is recommending a walker for Hunter. It would be a nice, fancy, medical walker. She will be submitting the letter of medical necessity to the insurance company. The walker would help him build strength in his hips, trunk, and legs that the Cerebral Palsy is affecting. It would also help him learn the reciprocal motion of walking.

He also had an appointment to get fitted for his feet braces. This appointment was hard for me. I drove to this appointment with knots in my stomach. I have known for awhile now that Hunter has Cerebral Palsy, but this appointment felt like a big reality check for me. It is the first time that he needs a special device as a result of the CP. This makes me sad. I feel sad that the CP has affected him enough that he needs braces. I feel helpless that I can't do anything about it. I can't make it better for him. I would love too, but I can't. And, that sucks! On the other side of the spectrum, I'm thankful. I'm thankful that he is alive. I'm thankful knowing that the situation could be worse and it’s not. I'm thankful that he's getting stronger. Once again, positive thinking got me through this appointment. He got fitted for his braces. He didn't like it one bit. They made a cast mold to fit around his feet and ankles. They had to hold his foot at a 90 degree angle until the cast mold dried. He screamed and cried. I just wanted to pick him up and hold him. After it was done, I did pick him up. He wrapped his arms around my neck and was holding on for his life. It wasn't anything that would hurt him. I just think he didn't understand what they were doing to him and it scared him.



In three weeks (give or take), we should have the braces back.

0 comments: