Friday, December 11, 2009

The Angels that God sends....

Before I had Hunter, my special needs child, I saw disabled children and could never understand how parents of these special children could be at peace about the situation given to them. I always had sadness for these disabled or special needs children. Then, I had one of my own and I see how these parents are at peace about their situation.

I, truly, believe that God sends Angels to this world to help people get through a rough time. I believe that He has put me in the right place at the right time to allow me to be able to put things into perspective, or allow me to be able to accept things for what they are and to appreciate that they aren't any worse. This happened to me today.

I took Hunter to his Physical and Occupational therapy appointment at U of M. I walked into the waiting room, checked Hunter in, and sat down in the seat that Hunter and I always sit. We waited to be called back. The place where I normally sit is usually not congested, but today was different. There were two other women sitting there. One woman was alone. The other woman was sitting there with her son. The boy was older than Hunter and I later found out that he was 9 years old. Her son was finishing his Physical Therapy appointment and needed water. As he waited for his water, it didn't take me long to start a conversation with his Mother.

I noticed that the boy was wearing braces. It was the same type of braces that Hunter has. His walker was also beside his chair. I asked the mother, "I'm sorry, I'm just curious - does your son have Cerebral Palsy." I know that it was a pretty bold question, but I was very interested. She replied, "Yes, he does. He was born extremely premature nine years ago. His prematurity has caused him many complications, including cerebral palsy."

As I held Hunter, I forgot that Hunter looks like a normal child at this point. He doesn't wear his braces 24/7. He didn’t’ have them on. He also does not need his oxygen, so for her to offer that much information was very nice.

I responded back to let her know "My son was also born premature. He just got his braces last week and they ordered his walker for him." We talked more. I found out that both Hunter and her son were born at 24 weeks gestation. Then, out of the blue, her nine year old son cut in to our conversation. Please remember from my past blogs that I had a hard time accepting the braces because it made the Cerebral Palsy real. This boy wouldn't have known this. There would’ve been no way he could’ve known how I felt about Hunter's braces. The mom and I spoke about prematurity and our experience in the NICU only. I told her how awesome St. Joseph Mercy Hospital was. Her son was in a different NICU.

So, her angel, my angel, God's angel spoke and this is what he said..."I love my braces. I've had them since I was born. They help my feet and legs. This is my walker (as he pointed to his walker). I love my walker too. I can walk as fast as my friends at school. My friends at school are nice to me and they help me when I need help"

I wanted to walk up to her beautiful little boy and give him a hug because the words that he just said are magical. I've been so worried about Hunter's happiness in the future and how he will see the situation dealt to him. For a brief moment, I saw Hunter - 9 years from now - saying those same exact words. I held back my tears and the boy asked his mom if he could go to the bathroom.

“Of course”, she agreed. She helped him in his walker and I watched as he cruised himself into the bathroom. WOW!

Let's not forget about the other woman who was sitting there. I wanted her included in our conversation too. I asked her if she had a child with cerebral palsy. Her child was not sitting with her, but that's not uncommon for the parents to wait in the waiting room as their child is getting Physical Therapy. Sometimes, the therapist prefers the parents to wait in the waiting room.

She told me a story about her child as she held back her tears. Her child did not have cerebral palsy. Her child was 8 years old. He was born full term and was healthy up to two years ago. He was driving with a relative. The relative was not paying attention and pulled out in front of another car. The boy suffered a spinal cord injury in the accident. Her son will be permanently in a wheelchair. I told the woman to never lose hope and always have faith. I told her that I will pray for her child...and Hunter was called back for his therapy appointment.

I believe that God wanted me to meet that little boy. God wanted me to hear what that little boy had to say. He wanted me to feel at peace with Hunter's condition. Thank you God!

It was a day that reminded me to always appreciate the moment for what it is, to take nothing for granted because things can change within the blink of an eye, and to thank God for all that he has blessed our family with and all the lessons he has taught me.

0 comments: