Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Week In Review

On Tuesday, December 1st - Hunter got his new AFO's (Leg Braces). We are slowly supposed to get him used to them by allowing him to wear them one hour a day and increasing the time he has in them. During the first couple weeks, we have to watch for redness around his ankles and feet. We don't want sores to form. I know I am wrong for feeling the way I do about these leg braces, but I can't help to feel that these leg braces are going to hinder his development. They keep his ankles at a 90 degree angle at all times. I try to image my limitations if I had to keep my ankle at a 90 degree angle for a couple hours of the day. It seems heinous to me. In addition, I need to find shoes to fit the AFO's. This also seems like it is going to be complicated. I guess I need to change my attitude towards them before Hunter picks up on this negativity.



Hunter also met with his Occupational Therapist. She feels that over the last week Hunter has went backwards in his development. I had the stomach flu followed by a head cold. I admit that I slacked off on working with him as I recovered. It's amazing how much he can fall backwards in one week. This again elaborates on my last blog about being paranoid to get sick. It affects everything.

On Thursday, Hunter met with his Pulmonologist. He is confident that Hunter can come off of oxygen day and night. Whew Hew. We are on a trial run. I'm confident that Hunter will not need it during wake hours, but his oxygen saturation does dip at night time. As long as he stays above 92%, he will be okay. I can't explain how weird it is to not put a nasal cannula on Hunter before I tuck him in.

Hunter had his first experience at a restaurant tonight. Some guy squeaked his chair on the floor, and Hunter almost jumped out of his high chair. Other than that, this was a big change for me. It is almost indescribable. I have never taken Hunter into a public place and today was the first time. There was a little bit of fear, over protectiveness, joy, and freedom. I asked the hostess for the table furthest away from people and took clorox wipes to wipe the table down. The sound of people coughing and sneezing still echoes and stands out and I look to see how far away we are from the cough, the sneeze, and whatever else resembles sickness and germs. Hunter is not the first micro preemie and I wonder how other parents cope with taking their kids into public places for the first dozen times. Does this sound too familiar to them?





On Friday, Hunter had his Physical Therapy appointment. She really does not believe that Hunter will be able to walk unassisted at first and into early-mid childhood. More than likely, Hunter will need the help of a walker. As he grows and becomes stronger, independent walking may be a possibility. The future is so unclear. She also cleared up the negative attitude I have towards the leg braces. Because of the Cerebral Palsy, Hunter's feet turn inwards. This means that the side of the foot, by the ankle - ligaments, tendons, and muscles would not be growing as they should. The inner part of the foot would be stretched out too much. The braces make the tendons, ligaments, and muscles all grow properly. Hunter will only need to wear them when he is trying to walk or stand. He will not be wearing them as he plays on the floor.

0 comments: