Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day Two - Dorsal Rhizotomy Post Operation

Hunter's neurosurgeon met with us this morning to discuss Hunter's next steps. Hunter's back is still swollen and full of fluid. They aren't sure if it's spinal fluid or bleeding of some kind. The only way to know is to put Hunter back in surgery and explore. His neurosurgeon isn't in any hurry to do this. So, the plans are to keep Hunter as calm and mellow today as possible. He hopes that with rest, the fluid will re-absorb into the body, and surgery will not be needed. 

The Incision

The fluid in his back is a setback. In a normal Dorsal Rhizotomy, Hunter would be sitting up today. They would try to get him moving as soon as possible. However, since he is having this complication, the doctor ordered him to lie flat for another day. Hunter was supposed to start physical therapy tomorrow. But, this has been delayed for now.  They removed the epidural from his back and switched to oral Oxycodone and Tylenol. For the most part, Hunter seems comfortable. The only time he is not comfortable is when they try to move him. The slightest movement makes my poor little guy scream. It breaks my heart.

The neurosurgeon will evaluate the fluid tomorrow. Surgery is not ruled out yet. But, he will try everything first before putting him through that again. Hunter is usually so active. I never thought I would see my child lie on his back for an entire weekend. I thought this was impossible. In fact, when the neurosurgeon told me that Hunter couldn't move for two days, I said to him "In no way, would this happen". I was wrong.

For now, this is how Hunter spends his time.




0 comments: