Friday, May 17, 2013

The Day Is Here

I will update this blog as the day progresses.

We arrived at 6:30 AM today for Hunter's surgery. Hunter was spunky. We met with the neurosurgeon once again. I expressed concerns over the complications that I researched. Meningitis is one complication that really scared me.  He reassured me that they do everything possible to avoid complications. Before Hunter went back to surgery, they gave him a medication that made him drunk. Of course, I turned on the video camera and started to record it. It was comical and added humor to this stressful day. I will post the very cute video later.

Our Drunk Son - Before Surgery

He went back to the operating room around 7:30 AM. This is the last update I have for him right now. I will be updating this blog as the day progresses.

At 10:05 AM, we got a call from the operating room. Hunter is doing good. Surgery is still in progress.

We are at the 5-hour mark that Hunter is in surgery. At 12:30pm, we received another call from the operating room. The surgeons are working away. Hunter is doing good. We have no news on how much longer the surgery will take.

HUNTER IS OUT OF SURGERY AND EVERYTHING WENT GOOD!!!

I am in a hurry and will write this as quickly as I can. Please excuse any grammer errors. I don't have time to proofread this. We can be called back to recovery any moment and I'm going to be running back to see my precious Hunter when called. Yes, after almost 8 hours, Hunter is out of surgery. I have not been able to see him yet. But, I met with his neurosurgeon who explained to me what happened in the surgery.

The surgery went well. The only complication is that Hunter is wired up differently. He has different amounts of nerves in his spine than most. Also, he has a 13th rib. This made the surgery a little more complicated. If they would've clipped the wrong nerve root, he could lose function of his bladder. They had to be very careful. After the surgeon and many other doctor's talked about it, they are confident that they clipped the right nerve roots and his tone is as close to normal as it can be.
Day One - Post Operation
Hunter has to remain on his back all weekend with little movement.

I'm posting the last update of the day and signing off. Hunter is resting peacefully in his room. He is still sedated and the pain seems controlled with medication. He remains on a clear liquid diet until tomorrow. He is stable and watching cartoons.

We appreciate all the support, love, thoughts, and prayers that we have received from friends and family. I'm so tired that I can't think straight to continue to write this blog. I will write more tomorrow. 

0 comments: