Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday, May 4, 2008

I arrived at the hospital yesterday after the nurses were calming down. It appeared that I had 2 nurses, a nurse practitioner, the neonatologist, and a respirator therapist with sweat on their brow and a little panicky. They were taking a breathier and the x-ray was in taking another x-ray of Hunter. I could tell something had just happened. I asked his nurse if everything was okay. Apparently, Baby Hunter was lying on his belly (his favorite place) and got a little ornery. He started to move his head around a lot and was able to loosen up the breathing tube. He took his tiny little hands and pulled the breathing tube out completely. I think he was telling everyone that he had enough. So, the sweat was real. This happened 10 minutes before I got there. They had to bag him and breathe for him as they were re intubating him.

It doesn't end there. I was at the hospital morning to night yesterday and still haven't slept. I have to find a time for myself to relax, but right now ... Mom's worried. Hunter may have pneumonia. They put him on three different antibiotics and sent more cultures to the lab. It takes a couple days to come back. But, I was able to see his x-ray and things didn't look good. In addition, Hunter's heart rate kept dropping yesterday. Oh my! Talk about the worst feeling a person can ever go through. I was continually watching the monitor. My son and whole world would drop his heart rate. Medical personnel kept running in his room. Ugh!

His gut also isn't clearing up or getting any better. There is still a lot of air in his intestines. We had one day that things looked good. It gave us a false gleam of hope. His gut can cause him a lot of cramping, which kills me to think about. I hate the thought that he could be in pain. Ugh! Life in the NICU is one day at a time. They mentioned the possibility of surgery for a bowel obstruction, but haven't said it again to me. I asked yesterday about it. The doc said that it is still a possibility and they would have to transport him to U of M for the surgery. I am not sure if he needs it yet. I guess I can't worry about this until they tell me for sure. (not worry - ha) I haven't checked yet - but I am sure that I am getting gray hair.

I hope this email explains why I couldn't sleep last night. I was so worked up by the time I got home. I couldn't get comfortable for nothing.

Again, thanks for your support and prayers. I still believe that God is Hunter's # 1 Physician and there are angels watching over him.

0 comments: