Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday, July 14, 2008

We just got back from the NICU. Here's the update for today:

Hunter seems to be doing a little better today. I can't say that I'm relaxing yet. They took Hunter off the vent. Yay! But, the neonatologist is not sure if he can stay off the vent. He has been back on the nasal cannula since 2:00 PM. He had a good blood gas at 4:00 PM. He had another good blood gas at 10:00 PM. His lungs are still sounding a littly raspy. Therefore, I am not feeling confident or secure yet that he can tolerate the nasal cannula yet.

Before the surgery, Hunter's was at 41 cc's of full feeds and handling it well. They had to stop all feeds for the surgery. They started him on 5 cc's and he is not tolerating it too well. I hope we're not going back to his stomach issues. I'm a little freaked out about that. He is not having bowel movements and his stomach is not processing the tiny amount of 5 cc's. He is having full residuals when they pull back. In english: they put 5 cc's in. Three hours later, they pull back on the feeding tube. They get 5 cc's back. This means he is not digesting anything. I really hope it is just a surgery thing.

Hunter is still in the isolette and not ready for his crib yet. I am sure he misses his mobile, fishy toy, and musical box.

His blood cultures are still coming back as negative for infection. They still have him on two different type of antibiotics. This is a precautionary measure.
They took his bandage off today. We saw where the incision is at. It is still taped up. Gosh, it eats me alive how much suffering he has been through. He is so courageous. I never knew someone could have as much inner strength like these preemies. He amazes me. He has had such a rocky road. I thank God everday that he is here. I am so blessed to have him. He is so precious.

They plan to do another x-ray in the morning. They will also do another blood gas to see how he is tolerating the nasal cannula.

The nurses and doctors are taking such great care of him. They are a wonderful group of people. They really care about Hunter and that makes a huge difference. They are also being extremely patient with me and my million questions. It can't be easy to deal with me; the over sensitive, worry wart mom.

Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for your support. Please continue to pray that Hunter progresses back to his baseline before surgery, that his body heals, begins to tolerate his feed again, for his lungs, and he his home with his family soon.

0 comments: